Do you know that an evaporative cooler can lower room temperature to a certain degree during the summer? Of course, this device is the secret to bringing the down-home temperature in the heating months when the home feels hot to live-in. We all want to stay in an optimum cooled indoor environment, and doing all that is possible is necessary.
So, dealing with a hot home atmosphere takes us to one home appliance, such as an evaporative cooler designed to cool indoor hotness. However, our objective here is to help you find the best air cooler ever, be it a single room unit or a whole-house evaporative cooler. In furtherance of this air cooler discussion, you will unveil our top 8 best evaporative cooler reviews to help you understand the units.
Also, you’ll find important factors when choosing the best evaporative cooler to cool your environment. We’ll also look at the differences between the evaporative cooler and air conditioning unit for you to understand what both units stand for and their function.
Finally, to wrap up the article will be the advantages and disadvantages of an evaporative air cooler. So if you’re ready to discover the best air cooling unit, then let’s dive into the body of this discussion starting with the comparison table, followed by the reviews as stated earlier.
Top 8 Best Evaporative Air Cooler Comparison 2020
8 Best Evaporative Air Cooler Reviews – Top Swamp Units
1. Honeywell 470 CFM Indoor Portable Evaporative Cooler with Humidifier
If you’re looking for an evaporative cooler for any kind of environment both traditional or modern settings, Honeywell 470 design blends seamlessly to different homes and offices settings. The Honeywell evaporative cooler is perfect for small to medium room sizes such as your bedroom, living space, den, and covered patio. We also recommend it for those looking for an evaporative air cooler for their garage.
The Honeywell unit is an everyday air cooler you can use anywhere with ease and very portable to move around. The caster wheels make transporting fun and effortless. The unit is built with super low energy consumption as low as 230 watts. It also features a 470 cfm airflow rating for faster cooling of the environment where mounted. This unit works best in dry home climates where the level of humidity is less than 60%. Apart from indoor air cooling, this portable air cooler can also be used to raise the humidity level in the winter days of reduced humidity levels.
More so, it features plenty of flexible settings such as low water alarm, adjustable humidity settings, energy-saving timers, etc. Most relevantly comes with remote control for you to operate the unit while sitting or relaxing on your bed. It is also equipped with treated carbon filters which helps in removing airborne particles to breathe better air. There is also an ice compartment to meet your personal need. This Honeywell product is powered by a 5.3-gallon tank for 24hrs operation.
2. Hessaire MC37M portable Evaporative Air Cooler
Moving on to the next unit on this evaporative cooler reviews takes us down to the Hessaire MC37M compact and portable unit for the larger sized room. If you live in home measuring approximately 750 square feet and below, this evaporative cooler by the Hessaire brand will bring down the temperature of the coverage mentioned to a cooler state. The ancient color appearance and aesthetics relatively compliments home of any decoration and so no limitation to places on where to use the air cooler.
Also, this MC37M cooler featured up to 3 media panels instead of one that is usually seen on most portable coolers. These panels allow for plenty of air intake while reducing pre-circulation of the air to proportion and this finally leads to lesser static pressure and increases air delivery efficiency.
More so, the hi-density XeL50 rigid media found in this device delivered 80% more evaporation area compared to a unit with regular media. What this means, more evaporation power and cooler temp. Talking about energy consumption levels, the Hessaire 2,200 CFM Evaporative Cooler is designed to use lesser energy and saves up to 35% on electricity bills. This unit is installed with 2-fans speeds with an air swing delivery system which helps spread the cooled air throughout your space. Furthermore, the unit has a 10.3-gallon reservoir with UV protection.
3. Honeywell 500 CFM Evaporative Cooler
This Honeywell is one of the best evaporative units we recommend for those in need of an indoor, outdoor, or swamp cooler. This unit has been tested and certified to work efficiently in the Midwest and southwest regions of the United States. And we advise users not to run this unit in environments where humidity levels are greater than 60%.
This evaporative cooler is a two in one unit which serves as an air cooler and also as a humidifier depending on the option you select. Therefore, you can switch to the humidification mode during the winter to add humidity to your home saving you the money on buying a separate unit.
The airflow rate of 599 CFM makes this unit perfect for small-medium indoors and outdoors areas. You may think of areas like your living room, bedroom, deck, garage, BBQ/ patio area. With this portable Honeywell evaporative cooler, you would save more energy because this air cooler is designed to run with low power consumption. There is also a washable dust filter available in this air cooler that removes allergens from the air and the filter is cost-effective to maintain. To summarize this air cooling unit is a remote control that enables users to take total control on unit operation within space while limiting standing up every time.
4. DeLonghi America Portable Evaporative Cooler
This is another portable air cooler you can install in your room or office to improve air quality for a better breathing process. This unit works with a naturally humidifying process lowering high-temperature degrees with cooler air and at the same time cleanse the air from dirty substances responsible for air pollution. As the unit releases cooled air, it also circulates it evenly for full space coverage using an internal oscillation mode to create swing mode air movement.
This unit has no compressor and so does not use chemical refrigerants usually found in traditional air-conditioners. However, this unit is an environmentally friendly device and safe for human health. Like the previous evaporative coolers discussed earlier, the white color DeLonghi America Portable Evaporative is economical in terms of electricity and low to maintain. This means you can confidently run your machine for longs hours without fear of spending more on energy costs.
Operating this unit is simple and easy. Even refilling it is not a problem, it comes with a removable 4.5-liter water tank which is easy to fill and clean. More so, you’ll access all key features with quick display top unit design. There is also a remote that brings unit operation close to you to limit you from getting up to operate DeLonghi evaporative cooler.
This unit features a 206 CFM airflow rating for an average time room cooling. The built-in ionizer is another feature that takes care of air by cleaning it before it is been released into your home. However, you can choose between 3 modes and also 3-fan speed settings. In the conclusion of this DeLonghi air cooler review is an adjustable louver which lets you control your device in vertical direction circulation.
5. Whirlpool WPEC12GW Evaporative Air Cooler
Although, whirlpool WPEC12GW is an evaporative cooler but strictly for indoor use unlike the series Honeywell 470 CFM or Honeywell 500 CFM Indoor Outdoor which allows for outside use. Nevertheless, this WPEC12GW can evaporate cooler air in small rooms of about 428 square feet. The slim and floor standing unit measures approximately 16.5 x 13.4 x 31.5 inches in dimension and ideal for homes with little space. For the low cost of cooling alternatively in dry climates such as the southwestern part of the US, you can count on this 214cfm Whirlpool unit.
Moreover, the unit is designed to use only 110 watts of electricity supply and this saves a net worth amount most units of its kind can’t offer. What’s more? It has three-speed fan settings plus automatic louvers that enables the unit to push air all over your space for faster indoor cooling. One unique thing about this evaporative air cooling system can be used in a high humid environment whereas the first products fail this test.
However, if you’re among those living in too humid areas then you need to pick whirlpool WPEC12GW 214 Cfm as the best option. The 1.9-gallon capacity provides fresh and clean air and also features a water pump to protect the system. This unit is cheap and affordable, you can check amazon for more details.
6. NewAir Portable Evaporative Air Cooler AF-1000R
This is surprising, didn’t notice it when listing out the units for reviews but discover along the line as we move further, the coverage area of each unit is gradually dropping down. For instance, the previous one is rated 428 square feet and this NewAir cooler covers up 300 square feet area. This further means, the new air portable air cooler performs best in small rooms and other similar space within the said coverage limit. This air cooler works best in dry/hot climates when the level of humidity is less and below 60percent as we have continuously said in the course of other items discussed.
Moving further, this item also features self-control air louvers which auto pull air across your air to cool your rooms faster. The unit is a lightweight and portable system featuring caster wheels for different rooms cooling. With an automatic air cooling timer, you can tailor the working period of your device to save more energy and to keep the unit from overworking after your home has been cooled. This unit features a cooling pad, remote control, and finally back up with a one-year product warranty for peace of mind purchase.
7. SPT SF-48LB Heavy Duty Evaporative Air Cooler
The SPT SF is one enviable unit among this review list which I recommend as the best evaporative air cooler if I’m to choose from the list. The heavy-duty air cooler seriously does the work of cooling homes with less concern from users checking the unit because it has been engineered to deliver and it does it to high performance. The rugged footprint is made with long-lasting high-end materials weighing just 29.2 pounds with a dimension of 24.2 by 15 by 34 inches. Even though, it looks big on view but equipped with strong and durable wheels to facilitate it from one position to another to meet your personal home cooling need. This SPT SF-48LB is a perfect choice for large areas temperature cooling and when compare to most of the evaporative cooler brands here designed for bigger space, I will pick this air cooler with a 3D cooling pad.
Furthermore, it does not use compressors, therefore no harmful chemical will be released into your home air and also result in low electricity consumption. For maximum airflow, the 1062 SPT SF-48LB unit features three-position air openings with a Honeywell 3D cooling pad. Although the unit has a water reservoir but also has the option for users to connect their regular garden hose to it extending the unit to a continuous water supply system to eliminate manual method of refilling the unit.
This unit can be used anywhere but in the case of open spaces like your patio, ensure not to expose it to rain or any form of water. When this unit is not in use, ensure to unplug it from the socket and should be stored indoor. The price may be high but when you look at some of the featured mentioned and others such as 3-fan speeds, up to 7.5hrs timer settings, automatic louvers air swing, you won’t regret investing in a powerful and heavy-duty machine like this to cool hot air in your environment.
8. Luma EC111B Cooler with Fan and Humidifier
This unit is perfect for people looking for an indoor tower unit design for smaller spaces not exceeding 250 sq. feet coverage. You can think of the size of personal space in this context or better still small rooms like children’s rooms, not too big bedrooms, nursery beds, student rooms and so on. The black-colored design greatly blends to any aesthetics as black is a universal color.
This unit works better in not too humid environments but humidity levels around should be at least below 60% for optimal unit performance. This is also a 2 –in-1-unit. This means it performs two different functions. It can be used as an air cooler or air humidifier depending on the settings you decide to use.
As little as it is, still feature up to 3 cooling speed like other big footprints units and also equipped with wood modes for a wider blow of fresh breezes across to subject the hottest condition to an ideal level. The Luma air cooler and humidifier only used up 110 watts per day as such leads to low energy bills. The overwhelming point, it cost just a hundred dollar which is fair price compare to the benefits you derived from the luma air cooler.
Why Should Trust Our Evaporative Air Cooler Reviews
We’re not just here to blow whistle of air cooler reviews all because we want to get your attention to our post but to help you get the value for your money. From the product discussion so far, we believe you saw our unbiasedness putting every unit to the extent of functionality, performance and coverage to the class they fall. To let you know, before we compile our reviews, we did extensive study to know what consumer wants in terms of air cooling devices and which one is raving for the people desire. That we also do considering other most relevant ranking factors which we can’t start telling you here but you can however check each unit on amazon for more details while checking verified amazon customers remarks.
How To Use Air Cooler – Easy
Using an air cooler is not a difficult as you might have pictured it. It is a basic device that requires your technical know-how for it to work efficiently. Let’s say, you’ve bought your first evaporative air cooler then you need to take it out of the system. Read through the manual guide on the setup but most units come assembly so you don’t need to start doing that yourself except for some minor parts such as the caster wheels. If you’ve gone through the user guide then follow the following steps:
- Locate an area in your space to place the unit but ensure there is a good flow of air around the place.
- Pour water into the unit reservoir to rinse it to get rid of substances from it.
- Refill fill it with your water (possible treated water)
- Plug the unit to an electric source
- Turn it on for it to start cooling your surroundings
- Select the fan speed level you prefer. Some unit has up to 3-speed levels, some 2-levels, and so on.
- If there is a timer option in your unit, you can as well use it to define your preference on the hours you want your air cooler to run.
With the tips shared here, you can know how to go about using your air cooler as a beginner. But take note, you should not place your unit in a high humidity environment.
The Best Evaporative Cooler Buying Guide
Since you’ve made up your mind to pick an evaporative air cooler system for your home, it wise to get it right for once. And to get it right, here are the basic guidelines to assist you further:
- Think of Ventilation and Installation: There are two possible models available on the market. Some models are installed on the wall or sometimes on the ceiling top. Also, there are portable sizes of evaporative coolers and this is mounted directly on the floor. But the objective here irrespective of the model you want, airflow is very important to keep the cooler not overheating during long hours of use, so to achieve this, you must have to look out for the appropriate area in your house with good ventilation.
- Maintenance is key for air coolers to work efficiently, they require your support on the kind of care you render to them. It’s not all about cooling down your home but also demands you to clean or replace filters when necessary. Remember dirty filters simply mean air filled with bacteria and germs. This further means you’ll breathe in bad air and you may end up developing breathing problems and others. Apart from the health challenges, maintaining the unit prolongs its longevity. The bottom line, evaporative coolers are very cheap to maintain.
- Portability: This only matters if the unit you intend purchasing is the portable model but if your proposed one is the wall-mounted model then this shouldn’t be a concern. Nevertheless, choose a unit that is easy to move from one place to another especially if you’re living in a big house that required cooling needs at different intervals. However, don’t buy a heavy and bulky unit so that you can easily carry it around the house. Also, the purchase unit with caster wheels for easy transporting. Also, ensure the unit comes with handles as well.
- Operation: Evaporative coolers can be operated in several ways and this sum up to 3 ways. To start with, the vent operation method allows the pump to remain in-active state giving room for only cool air to be released. However, in this operation, the output is not humidified and best for homes that already have an optimal level of humidity. These models however work similarly to ceiling fan principle. The second operational method involves two-stage of fan speed. The first stage settings run with the reduced cooling fan speed which is perfect for mild home climate while the 2nd speed level is ideal for hotter summer days. Some model works on filter base operation, although some units don’t have it. Filter helps in trapping down allergens and dust particles from the air to make it healthier to breathe. Evaporative coolers with filters can be quite expensive to maintain but can save you from plenty of health problems that may result from dirty air.
- Energy Saving: Running costs in terms of the amount spent on energy bills is one major factor to consider if you want to spend less on monthly bills. For instance, during the summer you would want to run your evaporative cooler throughout the season and this may require you to spend more. So to be able to lessen this cost, purchasing an energy-saving model is the best solution. According to research, evaporative coolers that are energy rated can save up to 20% on bills compared to those that are not energy star rated.
- Price: The price depends on the unit or model of the evaporative cooler you want. The more features you desire, the higher the price target to expect. Portable evaporative coolers are cheaper for an average income earner. But generally, on the market prices of evaporative coolest start from $100 and above.
Which Is The Best? Evaporative Coolers vs. Air Conditioners
Although both devices are used for cooling they work in different ways. Evaporative coolers are the first means of cooling homes and they are still much around due to their efficiency compared to air conditioners. The simple truth, many people are still confused about these air cooling devices, today you’ll able to know each one from the other.
Evaporative coolers cool down your home using evaporated moisture drawn from your home air. However, it sucks up heated air from your space, passes it through a cold water pad inside it, and finally return the processed air into your home air as colder humidified air.
On the other hand, the air conditioner uses chemicals to extracts heat from room air. And this chemical is called a refrigerant gas moving btw. Liquid and gas form. However, the air conditioner also produces cold air irrespective of whether outdoor air is dry or cold.
The undisputed facts about air cooling using either of the mentioned devices, evaporative coolers appear more on people’s choices than an air conditioner. Air coolers are more friendly and cost-effective.
One thing you should be aware of, air conditioners use refrigerant and because of this, they’ll recycle the same chemical over again which may keep them more cooler compare to evaporative coolers but the quality of air being released my not be as high like an evaporative air cooler.
Furthermore, an evaporative cooler can work even while windows are open but for your air conditioner, they can’t because the gas will escape outside making them inefficient when windows/doors are open. Air coolers can also be in an outdoor environment whereas air conditioning cannot be used.
However, every good thing also has its bad side. In the case where there is high moisture in the room, an evaporative cooler may not work well as supposed. So in this situation, the air conditioning system is considered an alternative option as it will not release moisture into the air but only cooling.