A damp feeling or cold rotten smell in the living room, basement, crawl space or laundry space is a sign of high humidity. A dehumidifier can protect you from this moistness by drying out the excessive portion. It would also prevent other problems like hindering the growth of mold, mildew, dust mites and other allergens triggers. From the findings, the best dehumidifier can protect you from other unmentioned health problems.
And knowingly fully the side effect of what high humidity causes is enough for you getting rid of it. Therefore setting up the best dehumidifying machine in places of excessive moisture is needful. If you don’t know how to find the right one, check our best-dehumidifier reviews here.
Nevertheless, the dehumidifier thus removes wetness from home air using its fan to convey damp air over its refrigerant coil. The collected moisture is either dump into a tank or sends outside via a continuous draining hose. One most important thing, CR ratings indicate the amount of moisture a dehumidifier can withdraw per day. For instance, a 70 pint or 30-pint dehumidifier would only extract the pint values they are built to extract. As such pint number is a determinant factor for choosing and buying the right dehumidifier for particular space dehumidification.
Our Tested Dehumidifiers
Base on the facts that dehumidifiers are of different capacity (which also refers to the quantity of water it can remove as claimed by various manufacturers. Our further test on this opinion conforms to this claim:
- Large space: 70 pints per day is required.
- Medium space: 50 pints per day is required
- Small space: 30 pints per day is required.
Following the above claim, it may also interest you to know how the amount of pint removal and the area to dehumidify in square feet relates. Learn more from our buying guide provided in this section.
Top 10 Best Dehumidifier 2020 Comparison Table
View Price on Amazon
Top 10 Rated Best Dehumidifier Reviews
Apart from indoor humid control, a dehumidifier machine is the best deal for anyone that suffers from an allergy. And also recommended for those facing breathing challenges due to too much moisture lurking around the house.
Do you know that mold allergies are the stepping stone for asthma? Dehumidifiers are also known for air cleaning as a result of their working mechanism.
Here are the advantages of using a dehumidifier and why you should opt for one today:
- As it is very clear, a dehumidifier can reduce the growth of mildew, mold, dust mites and other allergens.
- It removes the musty or rotting smell from your house.
- It can help you save on utility bills as it increases the efficiency of air conditioners.
- It can keep you healthy as you breathe fresh air.
- Keeps your house and furniture clean.
Maintaining Your Device
When it comes to maintaining of dehumidifier is one of the center points, anyone cannot avoid and that brings us to one point that you must empty it regularly. Below are a few more ways on how to clean and maintaining your device:
- Clean the container on a timely basis.
- Wash the filters and replace them when required.
- Inspect for frost buildup and other leaks.
- Clean the grilles, both intake as well as exhaust.
1. Frigidaire FAD704DWD Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier
This can protect your house against bacteria, mold, and mildew by controlling the humidity. Frigidaire FAD704DWD is a 70-pint dehumidifier empowered with up to 1,400 square feet dehumidify capacity. In other words, the 70 pints size unit is a perfect choice to get wetness from large rooms and other bigger spaces.
Those who don’t want to empty water collected by the unit themselves can make use of the continuous drain hose to channel condensed water outside. But if you prefer to use the manual method for water disposal, no worries because there is a full bucket alert that will inform you on when to empty the water and also turn-off automatically should in case you are not around.
Also, the 70 pts unit is a user-friendly device with an effortless humidity control option which helps regulate the right percentage of humid air you want in your house. Most relevantly, Frigidaire FAD704DWD 70-pint Dehumidifier is Energy Star rated making it one of the best dehumidifiers for consumers to spend less on dehumidification need.
- Its SpaceWise design and caster wheels make it very resourceful while moving around.
- It has electronic controls that read humidity levels digitally.
- Has a full tank alert and can auto shut off.
- The antibacterial filters (with mesh) bring down the growth of allergens, bacteria, and odors.
2. hOmeLabs 9 Gallon (70 Pint)
Breathe in a safe environment with the hOmeLabs 9 Gallon that can operate within a range of 35% to 85% of humidity and capable of withdrawing excess moisture up to 70 (seventy) pints in 24hrs.
While the previous Frigidaire FAD704DWD covers only 1,400 sq feet, the hOmeLabs coverage area doubles up to 4000 square feet. So, if you aim to dehumidify a larger area, picking hOmeLabs 4000 Sq Ft in this consumer reports dehumidifier as the best choice for such home capacity won’t be a wrong choice.
Also, super easy to use this hOmeLabs dehumidifier. Simply choose your ideal humidity setting and then leave it to collects condensation from the air while working throughout the day. Once the full tank is reached, the 6-liter unit turns off automatically but collected water can also be channel out directly via the hose to save yourself the unnecessary time of emptying the tank.
Irrespective of the size, this product can also be used for the basement area and other similar areas. Besides, it comes installed with moveable wheels that enable you to move the hOmeLabs from one location to another. More so, it’s a UL and Energy Star rated dehumidifier and there is more to it, such as the advantage and the disadvantage below.
- It is a huge dehumidifier with 9 gallons, which is extremely useful for larger rooms (2500 to 4000 sq ft)
- It can remove 70 pints a day
- Can eliminate moisture and odor
- Has built-in wheels for convenience
- Has a touch panel and an auto shut off, restart and even defrost
3. Frigidaire 70-Pint with Humidity Control
This dehumidifier performs up to the name of the Frigidaire brand as it can digitally read humidity levels for the past 24 hours. It helps save money and energy by working with low energy. It is equipped with similar features and works more like the first dehumidifiers discussed but although the design is different. However, with this Frigidaire model of a dehumidifier, you will able to collects 63 + 7 pints of water to stay in an optimal humid indoor.
If you talk about safety features, it’s equipped with auto – shut off to turn unit off as soon as the reservoir is full. Or you may decide to direct the water outside to free yourself of unnecessary movements of the emptying tank.
Operating this standalone dehumidifier is a thing of joy because it comes with ready to select digital controls for effortless operation. And also with digital readout, view the performance of your device whether you are getting the right result or not. Also, feature a control lock to restrict anyone for operating it in your absence especially your children. Consumers also confirmed it to run with a reduced noise dB level which makes it ideal for modern environments.
- Can purify air very well by churning 70 pints a day.
- It uses a standard electrical outlet of 115V.
- Can eradicate mold, bacteria, mildew and unpleasant odors from your house.
- Energy star rated and certified by UL.
4. Keystone 70 Pint
This Elegant black colored Keystone dehumidifier can pump out 70 pints a day of air from a 4500 sq feet room. The caster wheels make it easy to carry Keystone 70 pint from one location to another. This unit features an auto restart which helps save current settings during a power interruption. This means once power is restored restarts without you losing previous settings.
Keystone 70 Pt. room dehumidifier also features electronic controls for easy operation and LED display. The 24 hours timer available in this dehumidifier enables you to determine moisture withdrawal duration from your space. This unit set includes Auto-defrost, Turbo, and Normal. If the interest of this product you then check out the rest of the details below before further decision.
- The electronic controls have LED display
- It has a 24-hour timer, full bucket alert, and even a clean filter alert
- Has auto shut off the facility
- Can auto restart which is a blessing during power outages
- Easy to clean
- Emptying and replacing the bucket is a bit of a problem
Read the full review here for more details
5. Ivation 70 Pint Energy Star
This is a compact and powerful machine that can turn the air in your house into breathable heaven. You get relief from the heat and owing to its smart design it becomes easier using a dehumidifier system at home. Even though it’s in the fifth position this dehumidifier review discussion does not mean a lack of reputation in terms of features.
Like the rest of the products designed for spaces measuring up-to 4,500 sq ft so is Ivation Energy star as well. Most relevantly can dry out water up to 70pts like the former units in comparison, so whatever downside you might have attributed to this unit because it’s position is just a mere assumption.
Nevertheless, it comes with a hose connector to direct condensed water outside thereby eliminating the need to emptying tank every time. Also feature a programmable humidistat that helps maintain accuracy in the level of humidness required at home. There are also caster wheels installed in this dehumidifying machine that lets you relocate it from one place to another for different area dehumidification.
- Ivation has engineered a green product as they have conscious
- Can protect rooms of 4500 sq feet with 70 pints of cleaning per day
- It is a low on maintenance device
- The controls have LED display that makes reading it quite effortless
- Most importantly, it is Energy Star rated
- It leaves puddle on the floor and that could be a problem
6. Danby Energy Star 70-Pint Dehumidifier
This unit is a 70pint per day dehumidifier and Danby Company is the brain behind the making of this home dehumidifier for consumers needing a high pint unit to get enough moisture from their house. One of the first things that made us pick this unit for consumers is the ability for it to operate in a low-temperature environment. Most dehumidifiers perform less when low-temperature sets in due to the high presence of humidity but the good news, Danby energy star 70pts dehumidifier can work in temperature level down to 41 Fahrenheit.
Moving on to the next feature, takes us to its operation. All features are found on the top of the dehumidifier for easy access and control. It also includes two-speed fans, automatic shut off, and 24hours timer, all located on the unit top. This unit is also equipped with an automatic restart for a power outage, and auto defrost which also makes the 70-pint Danby dehumidifier user-friendly unit.
The front tank location is another great feature for easy tank emptying. And also full tank alerts inform you to dispose of water and if peradventure you aren’t close, the unit turns off itself. Hence, if you’re living in a house of about 4,500 square feet, you’ll find this Danby model useful. We also recommend it for basements and attics, thanks to its rolling wheels for unit transporting within indoor distance.
- Auto shut off for bucket overflowing
- Auto restart after power failure
in temperature down to 41 degree
- Has not caster wheels
- 2 speed limited speed adjustment
7. LG Energy Star PuriCare 70-Pint Dehumidifier
We find this black colored LG dehumidifier best for some special places dehumidification such as your living room and offices. The design blends with any acoustic of this new age. Highly efficient in humidity drying, taking out 70pints in 24hrs while utilizing a reduced electricity cost as an energy rated device at 2.0 eev. This unit is rated 2000 sq. feet coverage, this means LG energy star is perfect for large homes moisture removing. But this unit coverage, however, is less than the Danby dehumidifier reviewed above, although both have 70 pints capacity.
Because you want to dehumidify doesn’t mean you should make humidity level fall below the optimal level and so LG makers equipped this PuriCare with digital humidity control to monitor moisture levels and ensure humidness is at its best levels for family comfort. Besides, features 2-speed settings, 12 hours timer and LED displays that let you view current home humidity levels and also your setting as well.
It comes with caster wheels that freely roll in all surfaces so that you can move it around your house effortlessly to dehumidify. There is also the hand that lets you control the unit as you move for accurate navigation. More so, it featured a removable front bucket so that you can quickly dispose of collected water with easy access.
- Washable filters reduce bacteria
- Metal case to prevents fire outbreak
- Near drain continuous moisture draining
- Water container has a full level light indicator
for spaces not more than 2,000 sq. ft.
8. Whynter Energy Star 70 Pint With Pump
Whynter 70 pints dehumidifier is another popular seventy pints dehumidifier among consumers. This unit is designed by the Whynter Company and their dehumidifiers are loved because of reliability and durability.
The Elite series white is the only unit that featured a pump system in this updated dehumidifier reviews. The pump support unit efficiency in draining over a long distance. For instance, if your unit is to be placed on the floor and your hose is rise higher above the ground level, the pump releases the pressure that pushes the condensation up to empty it. This further means, a dehumidifier with pump is inevitable if the location you want to place your unit required passing the hose above the unit height.
Whynter energy star is designed with up to 70 pints level and works perfectly indoors of 4,500 square feet. It featured a large tank that takes hours to get filled thereby delaying time for manual tank disposal if you decide not to use the continuous drain option.
This unit performs lots of automatic functions such as turning off for full tank level, restarts automatically and auto humidity levels control. Operating this Whynter dehumidifier is fun to do. Has front bucket for quick access and castor wheels to roll it from one room to another including handles for directional moving. Other reputable features include low electric power consumption and can operate in ambient temp below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
and handles for easy mobility
- Can function in 40-degree ambient temperature
- 16 feet cord for condensed pump use included
- Auto defrost prevents building up of moisture
- Price factor
- Not for use in crawl space
9. Vremi 70 Pint Energy Star Dehumidifier for Large Spaces and Basements
Large homes or individuals that need to dehumidify the basement can pick Vremi specifically for this requirement. The unit is a 70 pint/day and covers btw 2000 to 4000 sq ft properly.
The dimension measuring 16.6 x 11 x 24.3 inches may be of great concern to some people due to transport needs. But that’s isn’t a problem because the 4 castors roll on the floor wheels are friction-less for you to push the unit anywhere around your home. One applausive feature is a quiet fan that makes Vremi operates quietly without causing noise pollution.
Equipped with easy to use a feature, allowing you programs preferred humidity levels and also 24hrs nonstop until the full tank is reached and turns off by itself. To save you the stress of doing it yourself emptying tank all the time, Vremi can be used with drain hose but sold separately. Many dehumidifiers that can be considered for basement or large spaces with moisture problems but Vremi 70 pints have been tested to work efficiently in these places and that’s why you need to look closely amid others.
- Easy to clean filter
- Quiet operation
- Continuous moisture mode emptying
- Great for rooms, basement, and mold/mildew threatening environments due to excessive wetness
- Bulky size
- Price on the high side
10. TOSOT 30 Pint 1500 Sq. Ft. Energy Star Dehumidifier
TOSOT is the only 30 pints collector per day unit in this review and is sufficient for large rooms, whole house and basement dehumidifying. The estimated area coverage in square feet is 1,500 square feet and for those looking for a 30 pints machine, choose Tosot as the best 30 pints dehumidifier for your house. The thirty pints rated Tosot has a 4-gallon tank and takes up to 5hrs to get filled when on continuous operation. But doesn’t mean you can make do with the continuous drain option to save the stress of water disposal, after all, your time is very important to attend to other jobs that matter.
What matters most in running a dehumidifier for hours is the ability not to incur more cost than as expected and so, Tosot 1,500 sq. feet unit comes in energy star sufficiency. This makes it more economical to run without spending much. And, energy rated units are environmentally friendly, therefore Tosot is safe to use indoors.
Built with an environmental friendly noise level running between 45 to 50 decibels. Devices that work at this decibel range are known for quiet operation and that’s one remarkable moment to enjoy when you purchase Tosot 30 pint dehumidifier. Furthermore, the dehumidifier starts whenever there is power outage while maintaining the same settings you’ve programmed giving you less worry on the unit set up again.
The quiet basement, larger rooms and whole-house dehumidifiers use a filter that needs periodical cleaning for efficient operation. However, there is a dirty filter light illumination display screen that lets you know when to wash the filter. In cleaning the filter, you can use warm water and detergent to achieve this but filter should dry out before replacing.
- Compact and lightweight designs fit into smaller spaces
- Remains one of the cheapest dehumidifiers reviewed
- The low moisture of 30pts daily compared to 70 pts dehumidifiers above
Choosing The Best Dehumidifier Buying Guide
Purchasing a dehumidifier ought to be an easy process but sometimes people find it difficult judging the features regarding humidity removal and home requirement.
To clear out the doubt and bottleneck being face when buying a dehumidifier, this section further discusses the steps guide to pick an efficient unit that will help you remove the excessive humidity in your house.
1. Types of Dehumidifier on the Market
Dehumidifiers come in different sizes and shapes. Also, they exist in different technology and each type is designed to function in a certain area of the home or environment. You can choose any of the type discussed below:
- Compressor Dehumidifiers: This is the most common type of dehumidifier widely used in homes because of the energy efficiency technology built-in them. Like the units, we reviewed belong to the compressor family which is the best model to purchase for homes. However, this type uses a refrigerant to cool the coil found in them to extract wetness from the air that goes through the device which is later emptied as condensation via the unit bucket or continuous draining.
- Desiccant Dehumidifiers: If you want to dehumidify a commercial environment or large facility, dehumidifiers with desiccant technology are the best choice to purchase because of their running cost. Nevertheless, some desiccant models are used for homes but these types have built-in heater and condenser that helps dehumidify humidity from the air.
- Dehumidifier Size: One thing to understands, this moisture appliance comes in various sizes and application areas just like we have said before. Apart from the coverage size, portability is another influential spec that makes up the buying procedure. However, there are several sizes of appliance available and each designed to perform in a specific type of environment. You will also find that considering your needs for portability is another important aspect of the buying process because of the ease of use anywhere in your house, it provides.
- Whole House Dehumidifiers: These sizes are designed for whole-house humidity extraction. They exist in two forms such as the console type and furnace powered units. The console model comes handy requiring no installation and can be transported from place to another via castors installed in them. While the furnace has to be connected to the HVAC system before you can start using them. Although some like that of the Aprilaire brand can be installed independently without the need of purchasing a heating furnace. They were, however, easy to use and maintain.
- Large Portable Dehumidifiers: In this discussion, the large portable appliance was the one we analyzed and seen nice for large coverage needs. The castors and wheels found in the various home dehumidifiers above make them good for damp basement use moving them effortlessly serving as basement dehumidifiers.
- Small Portable Dehumidifiers: This type is also referred to as mini dehumidifiers and best for small enclosed areas. You can also see small dehumidifiers best for RV’s apartments where the portable large models are obsolete because of their size. Due to their little footprint size, the appliance can also function as a bathroom dehumidifier where you can easily hang it on the wall. As a recommendation, we often received a request from people for an appliance for small closed spaces or cupboards. However, we recommend the Eva-dry Edv-1100 Electric Petite Dehumidifier and Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier, 2200 Cubic Feet (250 sq ft) as the available choice preferred among customers.
2. Cubic Feet Per Minute (CFM Ratings)
CFM stands for cubic feet per minute in dehumidifiers ratings. This standard determines the volume of air that can be processed by the appliance per minute. Often said, the higher the CFM value the more power the machine has to withdraw air from a farther distance because of the fan that powers it.
Now you may be wondering how you can determine this specification when most appliance CFM ratings are not specified. However, to clear the doubt, large dehumidifiers are equipped with higher CFM ratings and that’s one critical reason why you should choose larger capacity units than smaller devices.
3. What Size Of Dehumidifying Capacity Do You Need?
Dehumidifier capacity is a must factor to consider if you want to remove moisture efficiently from your space.
In the practical world, the appliance comes in Pint measurement and the sizes of the most popular pint include the 70 pints moisture unit, 50 pint and 30 pints models respectively
From findings, the 70-pint appliance is found among users with larger space. This capacity takes out an estimated amount of 33 liters of moisture from the air in 24 hours. Why you may see it good for you but comes more expensive compared to 50 pints devices likewise the thirty pints machine. But the good side of the 70 higher rate extraction, is that it works fasters unlike unit with lesser pints.
We don’t’ want to bother you so much with irrelevant things, to keep you in track and informed as quickly as possible, here are the detailed required for the various appliance sizes:
- 70 pint for space from 2,500 – 4,500 sq. feet
- 50 pint for space from 1,500 – 2,500 sq. feet
- 30 pint for space from below 1,500 sq. feet
Considering the quick dehumidifier sizing chart above and following the advice, you’ll find a water removing unit that’s efficient.
4. Noise Output
Compressor and fan is the reason behind why dehumidifiers produce noise. Since it’s impossible for this appliance not to poses the aforementioned things, then expect some level of noise from them.
But the good news, newer technology now comes in ultra-quiet compressor technology that runs with low dB noise level as low as 48 which is considerate level. hOmelabs Quiet Care is our recommended choice that meets this requirement.
Fan speed may also contribute in noise creation. Selecting higher fan settings may results into noise while lower settings mean reduced level. If you’re to run the dehumidifier throughout the night while sleeping, the best you can do is to reduce the speed to a certain level to improve your sleep.
5. Energy Efficiency
All dehumidifiers are designed to be powered by electricity and energy cost is an important aspect of the buying process. Remember moisture removing requires the constant running of the appliance to maintain an optimal and comfortable level.
To solve this problem, a machine with Automatic Humidistats helps sense the level of humidity presents in your air and Turn ON to reduce it. Also when the balanced level is attained, Turns OFF immediately. Also, a model with automatic shut off is worth the price as it goes off once full buck is reached.
If you are not too certain on the best energy efficient device, just store these tips in your memory. Thermoelectric or compressors dehumidifiers are the best to purchase because they save more energy compared to the desiccant.
If you don’t want to be on the losing side, a warranty is a must. Warranty is generally applicable to other home electronics shopping.
The reason for this, some appliances tend failing. If yours is back up with manufacturer warranty claim then you will be entitled to some level of assistance. This includes repair or replacement of unit in case of failure issues etc. depending on the terms. However, this can be accessed within a specific period as stated on the warranty agreement booklet. Ensure you choose an appliance with a lengthy warranty up to 1 year and more to be on the gaining side.
7. Draining Option
Typically, there are ways to empty the condensation collected. This method includes a handy bucket that can be removed manually and continuous draining outlet.
If you decide to go with the bucket, it means you have to empty the water yourself every time the tank is filled up. This movement may just be tiring to some people but maybe nice, if where to be dehumidified is not close to continuous outlet drain or floor that lets you push the water outside.
On the other hand, if you intend running the machine quit long then it is wise to opt for the continuous draining option that lets you attached a garden hose and extend it outside to dump moisture. This way you save yourself unnecessary worries thinking about dehumidifier emptying.
We believe a proper following of the above dehumidifying buying guide process will lead you to find the right appliance.
Hope, consumer reports dehumidifier blog has provided you all that you may have needed for finding the best dehumidifier. Just focus on the things discussed in this post to get yourself the one you may need. With that, we would like to take your leave for today and wish you all the best for your endeavors.
I have quite a helpful resource when it comes to getting a dehumidifier unit. Below is additional related links that can help you make a robust decision:
- What is a commercial dehumidifier? Check it out here
- What about the crawl space unit? Find out and be informed!
- Do you need to install a unit in your bathroom or not, we also got you covered on that.
Also, too much humidity may damage your car, especially the metal parts, tools, and other accessories stored in the park. It pays to learn how to prevent the havoc humidity that will cause your garage park before it occurs.
As for those who have a grow room, there is a need for you to understand what a dehumidifier machine can do to improve your plant condition.
In conclusion, the basement section of the home may also be affected by high humidity and this needs to look into in order to prevent the problems of excessive moisture in such area.